United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has opening for the positions of a National Consultant – Training. We helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the following position:
Job Title: National Consultant – Training
Location : Abuja, NIGERIA
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
In the context of global counter-terrorism, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is mandated to provide assistance to requesting countries in their efforts to address the legal and criminal justice aspects of countering terrorism.
In Nigeria, UNODC is an active partner in the country’s efforts to address the challenges of organised crime, drug abuse and terrorism.
In partnership with and guided by the Nigerian authorities, UNODC has been implementing a technical assistance programme funded by The European Union entitled “Nigeria-EU-UNODC-CTED Partnership on Strengthening Criminal Justice Responses for Multidimensional Security” under the overall framework of the UNODC Country Programme for Nigeria and the UNODC thematic programme on terrorism prevention. UNODC is leading its implementation, jointly with the national stakeholders, in partnership with CTED and other potential partners.
The overall objective of the partnership programme is to support Nigeria to strengthen its criminal justice responses to terrorism. Accordingly, it is expected to help enhancing the implementation of counter-terrorism legislation and good practices in accordance with the rule of law and with due respect for human rights; strengthening national capacity in international cooperation in criminal matters related to terrorism and in further development of the national legal framework against terrorism. Accordingly, the provision of substantive expertise in specialised areas is required.
The purpose of this consultancy is to provide specialized expertise for designing and implementing training activities in Nigeria addressing the Nigeria Police Force, and focusing on investigation, particularly on investigative standards for interrogation, surveillance, interview of suspects, managing a crime scene, case management, effective handling of eye witnesses and witness protection best practices, effective investigation of offences related to preparatory acts and other offences contained in relevant domestic law, and other criminal law aspects relevant for an effective criminal justice response to terrorism.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide specialized expertise for designing and implementing training activities (workshops, seminars, and other pertinent activities) on investigation, particularly addressed to law enforcement officials, and covering topics such as investigative standards for surveillance, interview of suspects, planning an investigation, case management, effective handling of eye witnesses, investigation of offences related to preparatory acts and other offences contained in relevant domestic law, collaboration with other agencies, and other aspects as relevant;
- Participate in the conceptualisation, design and delivery of workshops on investigation;
- Support the development of relevant Training material(s);
- Provide substantive support for the delivery / conduct of training workshops on investigation, training exercises and other related activities as required and specified;
- Participate in train-the-trainers, on-line training, and bi-national cooperation workshops focusing on criminal justice responses against terrorism, as required;
- Prepare support documents for and reports on training activities, as required;
- Participate in meetings with international and national experts, related to training activities, as required.
Expected tangible and measurable outputs
At the end of the contract, the incumbent will have (i) Designed and implemented specialized training activities focusing on investigation of terrorism, (ii) prepared the necessary support documents and reports linked to training activities, including a final report summarizing all the training activities focusing on investigation and a proposal for follow-up training activities that could be developed jointly with relevant training entities of Nigeria Police Force, (iii) delivered presentations and inputs for relevant training activities, (iv) deliver other requested inputs and tasks, as needed.
Dates and details of how the work must be delivered
Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Country Representative for Nigeria and the Chief of the Implementation Support Section II of TPB, the Consultant will perform his/her functions working under the coordination and supervision of TPB’s Programme Officer in charge of Nigeria, and the National Project Officer.
Within the general framework of this TOR, the Consultant will be asked to undertake specific tasks as and when required.
The specific work assignments and the work days to be remunerated for them will be conveyed in written communications, based on consultations between the consultant and the concerned UNODC officials (CONIG and TPB).
For planning purposes, it is estimated that a maximum of 35 work days are required (from April to December 2014). This will be reassessed as the details of UNODC’s programme implementation are further elaborated and refined with the national authorities.
A daily fee for days worked will be provided, as determined by the competent authorities from the organization, taking into account the level of work to be carried out and the budgetary resources allocated.
The Consultant will submit an implementation report with respect to the services provided in accordance with the communications from UNODC, together with a payment request form on a monthly basis, depending on actual work days.
The consultant will work from his/her own facilities. As required, UNODC will provide to the consultant access to the relevant substantive files and material, as well as access to facilities at UNODC offices.
The consultant will undertake travel as requested and authorized by UNODC. Travel costs and related DSA are to be provided for each travel, in addition to the consultancy honorarium, as determined by UNODC, in accordance with relevant UN Regulations and Rules.
Indicators to evaluate the consultant’s performance
Performance indicators are:
- The quality and appropriateness of specialized expertise delivered;
- Information received through feedback questionnaires on quality and usefulness of training activities;
- Quality of support documents and reports prepared;
- The timely completion of assignments.
- Expertise in counter-terrorism or closely related investigation, particularly in the context of Nigeria;
- Good knowledge and understanding of counter-terrorism, including relevant national legal instruments;
- Expertise in training officials of Nigeria Police Force in criminal justice processes, especially investigation of serious crimes;
- In-depth knowledge of the Nigerian criminal justice system and the Nigeria Police Force structure and work;
- Excellent knowledge of the social, political and economic situation of Nigeria.
Required Skills and Experience
- An advanced University degree or equivalent in Social Science, development Studies, Law, or other related field of studies;
- A first level university degree or equivalent academic education, professional training with certification from a recognized international/national law enforcement staff training institution, with specialization in criminal justice, crime prevention, criminal investigation, law enforcement and/or other related areas, in combination with required years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 15 years of relevant work experience in criminal investigation/law enforcement training, including a minimum of 4 years of investigative experience in counter-terrorism or closely related areas;
- Experience as a trainer in programme(s) at national and/or international level focusing on capacity building for law enforcement is highly desirable.
- For this consultancy, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Application Closing Date
7th April, 2014
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online