Reviews

UNILAG Hostel Fire Outbreak: What Happened and Photos

Written by Elvis Boniface

Though I stay out of campus. But as early as 5:17am, people were already pinging me, calling and sending plethora text messages to confirm the power outbreak in my university, UNILAG. As the #1 Education Diary, I put on my sport wear and jog to school to get firsthand information. I must admit it was a terrible scene.

The story; the popular Madam Tinubu Hall, MTH hostel of the University of Lagos was gutted by fire in the early hours of today after a student used a hot plate to cook and put it under her bed without totally putting out the heat. The fire started from the room and spread to other rooms but thankfully no student was killed. A few of them were however injured when they tried to jump from their windows to escape the fire.

The saddest part of it all was that students had to resort to using pure water to put the fire because there was no water in the hostel. Quite sad!

I personally laud the support of the various faculty presidents, I met many of them at the scene. And there all did their best to proffer short-term solution before the arrival of the men of the campus fire service. See a few pictures below. The pictures are blur because it was taken from my phone.

4 3 1 0

 

 

About the author

Elvis Boniface

Ordained Evangelist of the Education Ministry. Learning is my lifestyle, credo and religion. On a mission to disrupt and redirect Africa’s Education conversation using Technology and Media. We can do it. Open to discuss any Education initiative and idea. #peace

Speedy reach: +2348185787349 & elvis@edugist.org

Leave a Comment