The UM6P/EPFL EXAF 100 PhDs for Africa programme is inviting PhD candidates to benefit from its fellowship programme for Africa students.
UM6P/EPFL EXAF 100 PhDs for Africa programme is one of the three pillars of the Excellence in Africa initiative. It is designed to fund science and engineering graduates intending to complete a Ph.D. at an African higher education institution.
The fellowship will be jointly supervised by a professor employed by their African home institution and by an EPFL professor. They may spend short time periods at the EPFL in the laboratory of their EPFL co-supervisor, but will chiefly conduct their doctoral studies and their thesis research in Africa. Their degree will be solely awarded by their home institution.
The programme requires candidates:
- To be a national of an African country
- To hold a Master’s degree awarded after the 1st of January 2020 or to be enrolled in the final year of the master study
- To have an outstanding academic track record
- To be enrolled in an African academic institution when the fellowship will start, and to reside in an African country for the duration of the PhD
- To have the endorsement of a professor of an African institution willing to supervise the doctoral thesis for its full duration
Benefits of EPFL/UM6P Scholarship Program
The program awards funding of a maximum of 80,000 Swiss francs in total for a period of at most 54 months. Eligible costs include and are limited to:
- Living Allowance
- Tuition fees
- Research costs
- Costs related to joint supervision
How to apply and application deadline
Applications can be submitted through the application portal. Application deadline is April 18, 2023. Applicants will be pre-selected by June 2023. Interviews of pre-selected applicants by EPFL professors will be conducted in summer 2023. Results are expected by October 2023.