The AU Innovating Education in Africa Call invites innovators to submit unique and practical educational ideas with broad-scale sustainability, scalability, and replication potential.
They seek to involve continental education innovators in rethinking solutions to Africa’s education and skills development challenges, especially as countries emerge from COVID-19.
They aim to create change by:
- Incentivizing innovators to identify major education and skills development challenges in Africa.
- Sourcing innovative ideas and solutions to those challenges for adoption replication and scale-up; and
- Encouraging innovation partnerships involving education and training institutions, governments, and other key stakeholders.
- Applications will be accepted from citizens of AU Member States leading an organisation that meets the following criteria.
- Successfully implementing an education innovation in one or more AU Member States with verifiable outcomes. An education innovation refers to a product or service being offered by an organization that uses a relatively distinct approach—with respect to the African context—in addressing challenges in the education system.
- Legally registered and licensed to operate in an AU Member State.
- Directly responsible for the implementation and management of the innovation, i.e., not acting as an intermediary.
Successful applicants will benefit from one or more of the following:
- Receive grants of up to $100,000 USD to strengthen the interoperability of innovations with public education systems, while collecting evidence on effectiveness.
- Promotion of Innovation to AU Member States and Development Partners, including publication in the Africa Education Innovations Handbook 2023.
- Certificate of recognition from the Commissioner of Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation of the African Union.
- Capacity Building for Innovators by Partner Organizations.
Application procedure and deadline
Applications can be completed through the online portal. Application deadline is June 30, 2023.