Enel Foundation and Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) have launched the call for applications for the 2023 edition of Open Africa Power, the programme aimed at empowering women and youth to lead the clean energy transition of Africa. Since 2018 Open Africa Power provides a cohort of young energy professionals with a complete set of technical, regulatory and business skills needed to trigger Africa’s sustainable energy future for all. This year the programme will engage up to 150 African students, with at least 50% women, and almost 400 Alumni in a series of professional development and leadership activities provided in partnership with top academic institutions in Italy and Africa.
Open Africa Power 2023 comprises online and residential modules from academic institutions such as the University of Cape Town, Politecnico di Torino, Politecnico di Milano, SDA Bocconi, Florence School of Regulation, and Venice International University. The program, as in past editions, receives significant support from our institutional partner, the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
- Be between the ages of 24 and 35 by May 1st, 2023;
- Be a citizen of an African country;
- Currently resident in an African country or planning to relocate in Africa within the end of 2024;
- Be eligible to travel to Italy. All candidates are invited to check well in advance the procedure applicable to their specific case;
- Having graduated by May 1st, 2023 from a PhD, MSc, LLM, MPP or MBA degree. Undergraduate students, people with only a BSc degree or people who are currently enrolled in a master’s degree (i.e. Graduate students) are not eligible for this program. At least one degree (PhD, MSc, BSc, LLM, MPP or MBA) must be from an African University;
- Have competences and a demonstrated interest to pursue a career – in private or public sector – in the electricity space at large;
- Be fully proficient in English (CEFR C1 level), and be able to demonstrate this via an official language certificate or completion of at least one degree completely taught in English;
- Willingness to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment within and beyond the programme.
Open Africa Power will engage up to 60 African students and alumni in a series of professional development and leadership activities, comprising residential training modules in South Africa.
- Digital African Module: State of the Art and Capstone Project (May – June)
- Regulation for SDG7 Online Course (May – October)
- Italian Module: New Frontiers (January – March 2024)
- Give back modules. Upon completion of the Italian module, The entire cohort of alumni will be involved in knowledge sharing activities in cooperation with Enel Foundation.
- A copy of CV (in PDF format);
- Copy of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates (plus eventual MBA/PhD certificates) AND academic transcripts (in PDF format);
- A copy of Passport (in PDF format);
- A motivation letter (max 700 words, in PDF format);
- Three reference letters from industry, academia and/or civil servant representatives (in PDF format).
How to apply and application deadline
Applications are to be filed through the dedicated online platform exclusively, using the verification code (OAPF2325). Visit the official website for more information. Application deadline is April 10, 2023.