By Abdulafeez Olaitan, UNILAG
At University of Lagos 51st Convocation Ceremonies, there were many wonderful achievements, like a student graduating with a cumulative grade point average of 4.98, or a department’s best graduating student who only visited the library 3 times, or even a student who broke a 50-year record of a department’s first-class graduation draught.
However, amidst these many wonderful stunts, one of the most intriguing feats is that of a 71-year old woman who graduated from a PhD program of the institution.
Felicia Marinze, 71, was among the 148 doctoral graduates who were awarded Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at UNILAG 51st Convocation Ceremonies.
Here are few things you may not know about Felicia Marinze:
1. 71-year old Felicia Marize graduated from a PhD program in French from the Department of European Languages and International Studies, University of Lagos.
2. She immediately set a new record as the oldest person in the history of the University of Lagos to be awarded a PhD degree.
3. She emerged as one of the best graduating students from the University of Lagos School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS).
4. She was previously a chief lecturer of Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) until her retirement.
5. She claimed to have pursued the PhD to exercise her brain in retirement.
6. She spent a cumulative amount of 9 years to obtain her postgraduate degrees (Masters, MPhil and PhD).
7. Felicia Marinze plans to use her findings from her PhD to advance the study of French in Nigeria.
8. She is the author of six books and is currently working on a new book, “French for English learners” that would enhance students to better their communication research.