Over 180 students of God’s Banner School at 16 Adeolu Street in the Ladipo area of Lagos State on Tuesday escaped unhurt when a gas explosion rocked a mechanic shop at the back of the school.
It was reported that over 180 students including primary and secondary school students were hurriedly dispersed when the explosion hit the back of the school at the mechanic end on Tuesday.
An official of the school who chose to remain anonymous narrated that the school management immediately dispersed the students when the explosion happened on Tuesday morning.
The male official said the explosion occurred just after the students ended their habitual morning assembly and had settled in their various classes.
“The gas explosion happened all of a sudden at the back of the school but fortunately we have no child injured and all parents safely took their children. We have about 180 students,” the official stated.
“Where the gas explosion happened wasn’t part of the (school) building; it is the other side. It didn’t affect the school,” he explained.
The official also stated that parents hurriedly rushed to the school a few minutes after they had handed over their kids to the school management.
Asked whether an explosion had happened before in the area, the official said the school has been in existence for over a decade and no explosion had occurred in the past.
He said the school management would decide when to reopen the facility for academic activities but said the safety of the students remains a priority.
“The management has made a decision to let the students stay at home for tomorrow and for as long till the environment is conducive,” he added.
Over five persons were burnt to death in the mechanic workshop where the explosion occurred around 8am on Tuesday.