REEL Foundation Organizes Maiden Edition of Young Writers Challenge!
Imagination and Creativity are crucial to children’s learning and development. The ability of a child to spin these skills into a story is phenomenal and should be encouraged and developed.
In the words of Albert Einstein-”Imagination is more important than knowledge, Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world”
Against this backdrop, we are excited to announce the maiden edition of The REEL Young Writers Challenge. A Story writing competition for children to ignite imagination and creativity as well as reward diligence and excellence.
This challenge will provide a great opportunity for young kids to showcase their creativity via writing a story and receive recognition for their skills/abilities.
Also, taking into consideration the learning gaps that have been created due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this Challenge will also provide an avenue for children to be resourcefully engaged and excited outside the physical school environment.
- Provide an opportunity for children to capture their imagination and ingenuity in a creative way to foster learning even outside the classroom
- Create an equal platform for children irrespective of background to showcase their creativity/ skills and get rewarded for it
- Increase the awareness on COVID-19 Pandemic particularly for children in a fun and creative way
- Promoting Children’s digital literacy skills via the use of digital tools for the challenge
Challenge: “Write a story on how COVID-19 has impacted your life or people around you and what has been learned from the experience of staying at home”
- Age group: 7-13 years old
- Application Opens July 20th and closes August 20th. 2020
- Write a short story of between 500 to 1000 words using the Challenge
- Stories must be typed in English and an original unpublished work
- Your entry must include the following: Full Name of Writer, Residential Address, Date of Birth, School, Name of Parents/Guardian and Phone Numbers.
- Entries can be submitted via any one of the following: Email or via WhatsApp to 07025503338
- The Top 10 entries will be selected and recognized.
- 1st Prize will receive N50,000 Cash Prize and Tablet preloaded with Learning resources
- 2nd Prize will receive N30,000 Cash Prize and Tablet preloaded with Learning resources
- 3rd Prize will receive N15,000 Cash Prize and Tablet preloaded with Learning resources
- The remaining 7 will also get special prizes
- In addition to prizes, all top 10 entries will get a one-time career counselling session to explore careers that require strong writing skills
- A small press conference will be held in September 2020 to announce and award the winners.