Lagos State University(LASU), Nigeria’s best and most preferred state university (according to the latest UTME data) recently celebrated 40 years of existence. The anniversary celebrations coincided with its 26th convocation ceremony which recorded 282 graduates who finished with first class honours for the 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 academic sessions.
At the event, the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa said “LASU continues to create stars”.
This statement affirms the fact that LASU has in its decades of existence produced thousands of graduates, many of whom are successful professionals, entrepreneurs, celebrities, politicians, and changemakers in society. Notable alumni include speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa, former deputy governor of Lagos State, Oluranti Adebule, former EFFC chairperson, Farida Waziri, and artists like Desmond Elliot (also a lawmaker), Femi Jacobs, Eniola Badmus, Chioma Chukwuka, Ireti Osayemi, Brymo, Wizkid, amongst others.
Here are some facts and strides of this institution recorded over the years.
- Lagos State University is the seventh state-owned university to be established in Nigeria
- The institution established in October 1983, under the Lateef Jakande Administration (first Executive Governor of Lagos State) previously existed as Lagos State College of Science and Technology
- The institution was formed as a multi-campus and non-residential university and named LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY (LASU), following the recommendation of a 12-man technical committee headed by Prof. Abisogun Leigh
- Its operations commenced in 1984 with 55 academic staff, 37 administrative and technical staff, and 575 students
- The university began with three faculties: Commerce and Business Administration, Law and Medicine, but today the institute has 14 faculties and offers over 80 degree programs
- Its first Vice-Chancellor was Professor Folabi Olumide, a Nigerian Academic and Medical Surgeon
- The university has three major campuses, at Ojo, Ikeja, and Epe
- LASU is currently ranked the best state university in Nigeria, according to the Nigeria Universities Commission (NUC Ranking)
- Its self-assuring slogan “WE ARE LASU, WE ARE PROUD!” was introduced in 2016
- In 2018, LASU introduced the Career Development Centre
- In 2019, under the leadership of the former Vice Chancellor, Prof. Olanrewaju Fagbohun, LASU introduced two-stream undergraduate programmes to help deepen the entrepreneurship skill of students of the institution
- The institute also created the Open and Distance Learning And Research Institute (ODLRI)which offers over 40 diploma and certification programmes
- In 2020, LASU was ranked among the best three Nigerian universities in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Ranking
- It is currently listed among the top 1500 universities in the Times Higher Impact Rankings (the only global performance tables that assess universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)- The institution ranks high for SDG 4 (Quality Education), SDG 5 (Gender Equality), and SDG 14 (Life Below Water)
- LASU is a two-time winner of the Best School Delegation at the Nigerian International Tertiary Institutions Model United Nations (NITIMUN) Year 2017 and Year 2018
- In the last decade, the institution has developed over 15 digital homegrown solutions. Examples include: ‘GetItRight’ Plagiarism Checker, Virtual Notice Board (Information Dissemination System), LASU Monitor (Campus Safety Mobile App), amongst others