Senegal Postpones School Reopening
Senegal has announced the postponement of school reopening until further notice.
This was disclosed in a statement on Monday June 1 2020, by country’s education ministry.
According to the statement, the decision was taken after several teachers tested positive for the new coronavirus.
Schools were earlier scheduled to gradually resume on Tuesday after weeks of shutdown, following the outbreak of coronavirus pandemic.
A statement from the education ministry said teachers tested positive for coronavirus in Ziguinchor. As well as in the Casamance area, south of the country.
“Senegal’s President, Macky Sall decided to postpone the restart of classes until a later date. To avoid any risk of the virus spreading in schools,” the statement reads.
The government began bussing teachers from the capital Dakar to schools in the other regions last week in preparation for schools to reopen.
The ministry said in a separate statement that the bussing has been suspended until further notice.
Senegal has recorded 3,739 positive COVID-19 cases since the start of the outbreak, with 43 deaths.