African Plant Nutrition Institute (APNI) Scholarship Programme seeks to support African graduates in science fields related to plant nutrition and the management of nutrients applied to crops. The African Plant Nutrition Institute (APNI) is a not-for-profit research and education institute established in March, 2019.
APNI’s mission is to develop and promote sustainable plant nutrition management and innovation through research, education, and extension. Intending applicants must be attending a degree-granting institution located in Africa.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must be:
- Currently attending a degree-granting institution located in Africa.
- Candidates for M.Sc., M.Phil., or Ph.D. degrees, who are currently enrolled in a program of graduate study as of the application deadline. To be eligible, M.Sc. and M.Phil students must be in the second year of their studies. Applicants who have already completed their degrees are ineligible.
- Students in the disciplines of soil science, agronomy, and horticultural science or tree crop science with a focus on plant nutrition are encouraged to apply.
- Past winners of the Award are not eligible.
Scholarship duration and reward
Awards of USD $2,000 each are available to ten (10) deserving African graduate students in sciences relevant to plant nutrition and the management of nutrients applied to crops.
In order to complete the application process, applicants will need to submit the following in either English or French:
- Electronic copy of transcripts of all university work, including cumulative and final grade records (GPA or percentile).
- Electronic copy of two letters of support, one of which should be from the major professor. Letters must be signed and written on official letterhead and must include the phone number and e-mail address of the letter writer.
- A description of the focus of thesis or dissertation research presented in a manner that will permit evaluation of its originality, depth, and scope, innovative approaches, and relevance.
- A brief description of any additional information that may be relevant to the award (such as honours or awards received, employment history, career goals, and other activities pursued).
How to apply and application deadline
Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the application form. The application deadline is April 30, 2023.