The Kogi State Polytechnic in Lokoja has been struck by tragedy as two of its students, Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, aged 20, and Ibrahim Haliru, lost their lives due to inhalation of generator fumes.
Confirming the unfortunate incident, the Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, SP William Ovye Aya, disclosed the details in a telephone interview with DAILY POST on Thursday evening. Aya revealed that the deceased students were found in their room, where a generator had been placed near a window.
The lifeless bodies of Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru were discovered by their neighbors in the early hours of the day, emphasizing the lethal consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning. Another student, Mercy Ojochegbe, who was also present in the room, was rushed to the hospital after being found still breathing.
Investigations into the incident have commenced following a report lodged at the B division of the Nigeria Police Force, Lokoja. SP William Ovye Aya cautioned residents to prioritize safety measures when using generator sets, stressing the importance of maintaining a safe distance and avoiding placement near living quarters.
He emphasized the critical need for awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning and urged the public to remain vigilant in preventing such tragedies.
Aya reiterated the significance of prioritizing safety over concerns about potential theft, highlighting the paramount importance of preserving human life above material possessions.