In Nigeria, a master’s degree after your bachelor’s degree is required to be admitted into a doctor of philosophy (PhD) programme. In fact, a post-graduate diploma is required of higher national diploma (HND) holders before a master’s degree. However, after receiving their bachelor’s degree, or HND students can advance their professions by pursuing a doctor of philosophy (PhD) without a master’s in some countries.
In 2022, a graduate of Science Laboratory Technology from the Federal Polytechnic in Ilaro, Ogun state, Islamiyat Ojelade won seven fully financed scholarships in the United States of America. She will be able to pursue a PhD in chemistry thanks to the scholarships, which is an uncommon accomplishment for HND holders without a master’s degree. She reportedly accepted one of the offers to begin her studies at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, according to a post she published on LinkedIn.
A bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree are often the first two steps on the road to a PhD. It is possible to move directly from a bachelor’s to a PhD, though. Going the unconventional route from an undergraduate programme straight to a PhD may be the best option for you. It’s not always simple, and there may be twists and turns.
Even though many students choose to pursue master’s degrees after earning their bachelor’s degrees, those who match the requirements set forth by the institution of their choosing can actually apply for PhD degrees after earning their bachelor’s degrees. Many universities enable students to pursue a PhD after earning their bachelor’s degree.
After earning a bachelor’s degree, you can apply for a combined MS and PhD programme; the criteria are the same as those for a regular PhD programme. Due to the fact that many colleges only admit 3 – 4 students every session, the competition will be fierce.
Conditions for pursuing a PhD after bachelor’s degree
The following criteria must be met to be admitted to a PhD programme after a bachelor’s degree:
- Students should have a high academic record in their bachelor’s and must have a strong GPA to apply for a PhD because PhD programmes are comprehensive and require considerable academic understanding.
- For admission to PhD programmes at many universities, Graduate Records Examinations General Test (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) testing is required. Your application credits will increase if you have a strong GRE or GMAT score.
- Another prerequisite for pursuing a PhD after a bachelor’s degree is a persuasive statement of purpose; it must persuade the admissions committee of your knowledge and abilities.
- Additionally, strong letters of recommendation (LORs) can improve your chances of admission to PhD schools.
- Your resume should highlight your practical experience and how it relates to the degree programme.
Reasons to study for a PhD
The primary explanations for pursuing a PhD are as follows:
- A PhD will broaden your expertise in a particular field, which could have a significant impact on your career.
- Your job options may increase if you seek a PhD in your field of choice.
- You can gain subject-matter knowledge by getting a PhD.
- Your remuneration package may improve as you gain more knowledge and expertise during your PhD.
- By pursuing a PhD, you can reach your full potential.
- A PhD can broaden the scope of your career and personal development.
List of nations that offer PhDs after a bachelor’s
The following nations are the most popular places to obtain a PhD if you’re interested:
United States of America
One of the most popular places to get a PhD is the United States. Since the USA offers top-notch education and a large variety of subjects to pursue higher education in, many individuals decide to pursue their doctorates there.
A doctoral degree from the USA gives students access to international networking opportunities and exposure to expanding study topics. Additionally, students will have the ability to practice in cutting-edge settings.
Doctoral studies are frequently pursued in Germany by students. scholars can receive a top-notch education in Germany, which also provides good prospects for PhD scholars. The nation is renowned for its accessibility and annually welcomes thousands of students. Additionally, Germany confers 5,500 doctorates annually on foreign students.
Canada is one of the top nations for providing kids with a top-notch education. The nation gives students the chance to pick the brains of professionals in their industry. Students in Canada have several chances to work and learn. It offers students some of the best options for research. Furthermore, the nation offers the most adaptable work visa programmes.
The United Kingdom is another popular location for PhD study. There are numerous famous colleges and institutions in the UK. good research facilities in the UK provide good job prospects in a variety of academic sectors. Students can work on research projects and develop important skills while doing so.
Australia is a cosmopolitan center that receives several international students. Australia offers students several top-notch research facilities. There are numerous prestigious universities in Australia that grant PhDs that are acknowledged across the world. Students can choose from a wide range of subjects to pursue higher education in the nation.
Following are the requirements for applying to a PhD programme.
- A minimum cumulative grade of 70 per cent on a master’s or bachelor’s degree is required for applicants,
Your results from the English Language Proficiency Test may be requested. Six-point-five (6.5) to 7.5 IELTS, 88 to 100 TOEFL,
- A recommendation letter,
- Statement of purpose,
- Relevant work experience,
- A proposal for research.